Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Faux Wood Burned Tags

Hi there!

Today I'd like to share something trendy, fun easy and just in time for the holidays, faux wood burned tags.

I've been seeing a lot of embellishments made from laser cut and burned wood and I really love the look! I wanted to see if there was a way to create a similar look myself. Real wood burning is created by heating up a metal stamp or stylus and darkening the surface of the wood, literally burning it. My way is much, much simpler...stamp it!

I started with some real wood veneer paper (if your looking I found mine here) and die cut it into tag shapes. Then I rifled through my ink stash to find just the right shade of brown. I used a small scrap piece of the wood to test it. I found that pigment or permanent alcohol inks worked best, dye inks tended to bleed into the grain of the wood, ruining the effect. Once I found the right ink, the rest was just about as simple as you can get...stamp! The pigment inks may require a bit of heat setting, but the alcohol inks were good to go immediately.

I chose the fabulous new Fresh Snow stamp set from Paper Smooches to embellish my tags. They were perfect for creating these Christmas tags I'm going to add to my homemade jam this year!

Supplies:
Wood Veneer paper: Creative Imaginations, Stamps: (snowflakes, sentiment: Fresh Snow set) Paper Smooches, Ink: (Timber Brown) Staz On, Ribbon: May Arts, Crochet Thread (gold) Coats & Clark, Jingle bells: Westrim Crafts, Die: (Tag Scallop die) Paper Smooches, Other: burlap, canning jar

So whadda you think? Are you going to try creating some of your own faux wood burned embellishments?

Heidi

5 comments:

Jodi Collins aka Kharmagirl said...

These are gorgeous!!!

~amy~ said...

Love them Heidi!

Rachel W K said...

beautiful tags! i need to get myself some wood veneer!
-Rachel w k
rwkrafts.com

Sue D said...

Very pretty way to give your jam!

Crestajune said...

Awesome idea, Heidi! Thanks for the inspiration!